Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Perspective

"It's funny how things don't work out." "It's funny how they do."- Sweet Home Alabama

I love being around positive people. Looking on the negative side of things is a trait that runs in my family, so optimism doesn't come naturally for me. Perspective is so important in the way we live our lives, and the difference it can make is incredible. When I do look on the bright side- I mean when I'm really, whole-heartedly there- it's so very rewarding. The rewarding part is a little ironic, though, because I can't control my negative thinking any more than an addict can control their addiction. Getting rid of negativity isn't something I do on my own. It's been part of who I am for most of my life and it's hard to let go, but when I do, God takes care of it and replaces it with optimism. He plants a gratitude that grows to crowd out the sense of entitlement that I'm all too prone to hold onto.

"Letting go of something painful can be as difficult as letting go of something pleasant. But let's face it - holding on is a lot of work. When we really think about what we're holding onto, the effort just isn't worthwhile. It's time to let go of our character defects and ask God to remove them."
Basic Text pg. 34

No comments:

Post a Comment