Monday, November 19, 2012

Back to Normal.

"Country roads, take me home to the place I belong. West Virginia, Mountain Mama, take me home, country roads...The radio reminds me of my home far away, and driving down the road I get the feeling that I should have been home yesterday, yesterday."-John Denver
Those are the words I would hear on the radio as my dad and I drove through the hills of Arkansas. I'd get a little nervous as the truck pointed upwards to set up our surveying equipment on the top of a mountain with a breathtaking view. We would return to that job site several times because of the rough territory and enormity of the piece of land. It was a two-hour drive away from home, so we would leave early in the morning, work all day, and pack up for home when it started getting dark. Walking for miles all over wooded mountains in the summertime isn't my fondest memory, but it was good for me. It was hot, exhausting, and by the end of each day I was worn out and dirty, but it was rewarding. Daddy and I have always made a good team, and today I remembered just how well we work together. I'm finally home for Thanksgiving week and get to do all the things that feel normal again, like getting a load of firewood in the truck. We had it loaded, unloaded, and the truck cleaned out in no time, listening to our music when it was convenient. Sometimes I really do wonder what life would be like if I dropped out of school to survey for the rest of my life, but I have dreams to keep in mind and they won't be given up so easily. I know what I want to do and I fully intend to follow through, even though I might miss what I have to leave behind. It will be worth it, but I'm thankful I get to spend this week back home. After almost a full semester at school, I'm thankful that it doesn't feel strange to be back like my friends are saying it is for them. I'm thankful that I get to savor my normal for a little while longer.

2 comments: