Friday, December 7, 2012

Your love is a melody.

Your Love Is A Song.

How is it that music can change emotions in a moment? It comforts, it reminds, it saves lives. It can bring a sense of nostalgia, sadness, happiness, love, peace, and so many other things; maybe all of those things combined at times. Music heals and hurts. The notes can open an old scar, the lyrics set a broken heart so that it can really heal. Pain and healing and joy are all tied up in the language of music, the language that emotions naturally understand.
Sometimes I wonder if I would be fulfilled if my mind could speak that language as well as it understands it. Sometimes I get jealous of people like Stephen Christian, Jon Foreman, and Elton John, who write some of the most deeply touching music I've heard. What would it be like to express what I feel in such a thorough, understandable way? I can only imagine, but listening to the things others have written still makes me feel understood because it resonates with me.
I can't write music, so I write words. Trying to explain a balance of fulfillment and emptiness in this way makes me feel ineffective and clumsy, but it's better than nothing. Language is a gift as well as music, because without it there would be no lyrics. Words are sometimes a part of this language, and words are something I know how to use.
God knows everyone needs to be honest. He tells us to walk in the light. He tells us that the truth will set us free. The truth is that sometimes I feel like I'm locked inside my own head even in a crowd of people. My thoughts are constantly churning with no outlet because I don't have enough words. I will never have enough words. I crave to be understood, so I go to meetings and I listen to music. These are the things that keep me going. These are the things God provides, and his Spirit guides me to the promises he's made.

Hebrews 4:15-16 (ESV) "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."

1 Peter 5:6-7 (ESV) "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you."

Isaiah 26:3 (ESV) "You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you."

No comments:

Post a Comment